There are so many things to remember before you depart on your divine destination. I have put together a short list of the Top 5 reminders before you leave on your trip:
- Stop the mail. Mail piled up is a sure sign that you are not home. Deter burglars by stopping the mail altogether. It’s easy peasy: simply go to www.usps.com → hold mail and request that the mailman delivers accumulated mail a day or two after your return.
- Turn down your thermostat. No too low though! Don’t turn it down lower that about 57 degrees to avoid freezing pipes. In addition, if you have a programmed thermostat, make sure the batteries are new to prevent the furnace from malfunctioning due to a $2 dead battery.
- Call your bank and credit card companies to let them know you will be traveling. There is nothing worse than trying to purchase something abroad and the transaction declining because your bank thought it was fraudulent.
- Pack an extra duffle bag or suitcase or even nest a carry on into your checked bag so you can bring home your treasures! There is nothing worse than being “that guy” at the airport trying to avoid the overweight charges by shuffling stuff from one suitcase to the other. Unless you have a hard fast rule of “no shopping” this will be the easiest way to bring back more than you brought.
- Don’t post your every move on social media, including posting pictures of the lovely beach scene if it’s a winter wonderland back home. In addition, turn off your location on your cell phone. Anytime you post on social media, it will show where you posted it from including photos, updates and even comments.
For more on this topic or any other travel questions please contact me.
Here’s to your next Divine Destination!